The Girl on the Train: A Novel

The Girl on the Train: A Novel - Paula Hawkins This review may contain a few minor spoilers.

Eeehm... It just wasn't what I expected it to be. The blurb gave me a hitchcock - rear window feeling and I was ready to start the next big mystery thriller book.

However, what I got was nothing like it. The story is filled with miserable people doing even more miserable things.

Rachel takes the train every day and watches the houses she passes. When the woman of her 'favorite couple', Megan, goes missing, she goes to the police with some information only she has.

It sounded interesting enough, but Rachel is not a great MC. She's an alcoholic and I didn't hugely enjoy being in her head.
The story is told from the first person and you follow the perspectives of 3 women, Rachel, Megan and Anna (The new wife of Rachels ex husband Tom). On top of that, you only get bits of the story in the morning and the evening. Also, the timelines of characters aren't always aligned.

I won't give away anything else of the story, since that's really the only reason to finish the book. I will say that nothing really happened up until about the last 15% of the book and then everything happened really fast and.. not really logical when you take in what you know about all the relationships in this book. The 'shocking' thing she witnesses isn't really shocking at all and I thought it was pretty obvious who the killer was.

All in All, I didn't love all the endless misery, the non-action, I didn't like the way the action that was there was done, I wasn't suprised and there were no likeable characters. I think I'm going to keep this one at 2 stars.