Before I Fall

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver This review will contain spoilers, but these are put between spoiler tags. So don't click on the tag if you don't want to know. You've been warned!

When I began reading this book I thought I wasn't going to like it. But I was in for a surpise. It started out a little too childish for my liking, but eventually I wasn't able to put the book back down.

The book is about Sam, a popular high school student who is loving her life with her three best friends and the boyfriend of het dreams. Then one night after a party they drive home and get into a horrible accident. Sam dies during the accident only.... somehow she wakes up again on the morning of the same day she crashed. What follows is a kind of groundhog day-like story. Everyday she tries to do things differently and everyday she wakes up on that same morning. During this journey she founds out who she has been and who she really is deep down and where her heart lies.

It may sound a bit tedious but it's really well written and you really start to hope for a different outcome.

Eventually she gets her life on track, does the right things and tries to make up for the horrible things her actions may have caused. She ditches the boyfriend and falls in love with a wonderful guy. However, all of this is exactly what makes the story difficult in the end. you see her changing things, changing herself and finding the real guy of her dreams and then in the end..... she still dies!!
I found this to be so frustrating that I was a little mad at the end of the book. I suspected it wouldn't have a happy ending, but during the book I was really hoping it would have.

I found the ending to be very bittersweet, but it's a beautiful story that gets a hold of you and won't let go until you've finished it. I'd recommend this book. However, don't get discouraged with the first 20-30 pages or so - which really seem a bit high school-ish -... after that you'll be hooked. Of course, if you are in high school yourself, odds are you're hooked from page 1!